I wanted to add a little color to the kitchen recently. I was looking around for some Red chair covers for my IKEA Henriksdal chairs. I wasn’t having much luck finding any so decided to make my own. I had heard people had good luck Dyeing IKEA chair covers, so I decided to give it a try.
Disclaimer: This article is for entertainment purposes only. This site also uses affiliate links. This means I may make a small amount of money at no cost to you if you buy something after clicking a link on this site.
Basically I started off with a trip to Ikea and picked up some of the plain white Henriksdal covers. They tend to always have these in stock and the price is reasonable. You can also purchase them on Amazon HERE. ( I was thinking about buying a few extras and trying a tie-dye multi color design for fun. Maybe let the kids design their own chair cover. If I do this I will add another post. )
This is the Dye I used along with links. Basically I put two Tulip Red packets and one Rosewood Red packet in each buckets I used for the project. I followed the instructions on the back of the packet, it was really simple.
Making a mess
As I was soaking the covers I noticed they kept trying to pop up and would not stay covered with the dye. I tried to get the air bubbles out but the covers still tried to float. So I ended up using pots to weigh down the seat covers.
Even with the pots on them, I still had to periodically poke them back into the dye. Once done I followed the instructions on the back of the dye packet and did the wash and dry.
Here is the final product. I was very pleased with how they turned out. And I didn’t get any dye on any other surfaces. Success!
This is what it looks like with the chairs around the table. It gives that pop of color in the kitchen i like.
Someone else sure likes them!
Here is a link to some more covers I dyed green – LINK